What's Holding You Back?

Filed under , by Alison on 9:04 PM

6

I believe there are two types of people in this world, those who can drive a car with a manual transmission, and those who cannot.  I belong to the first group, The Tall One is a proud member of the later group.  Despite my reluctance to drive a stick shift, we actually own such a vehicle.  In fact, it's the second one we have owned.  Of course I swore up and down that I'd never (again) let TTO choose a car that I didn't want to drive, until I saw the price tag on our current car.  Those cars can be a fabulous bargain, let me tell ya, both in initial purchase price and gas mileage.  Each time I leave the house alone, I sigh as I walk past the super gas efficient Toyota to get into my not nearly as efficient Jeep.  I could save some money if I took his car, but that would require me to gain a bit more confidence driving it.


So what's holding me back?  It's honestly not knowledge, I know how to drive it, I've done it before, several times actually.  But it makes me nervous.  Sort of.  It made me nervous when we lived in a very hilly city.  I was so afraid that I'd have to stop at the top of a hill and roll backwards into the car behind me when shifting it into gear.   So I claim fear is holding me back and it can't be good to be afraid while you're driving, right?  But it's pretty darn flat here and still the only time I've driven our Toyota was when I backed it out of the garage.  Really it's stubbornness that's holding me back and it's quite annoying to have a constant reminder of my stubbornness parked in the garage.

Is there something preventing you from saving a couple of bucks?  Please share!