Under 10 Recipe: Garlic Alfredo Sauce

Filed under , by Alison on 8:11 PM

1

Every weekend, okay some weekends, I post a tried and true recipe (for my family at least) that has ten or less ingredients. Follow this link for more under 10 recipes


It's been awhile, but I haven't forgotten about my under 10 recipes! I originally found this one on Recipezaar, but adapted it a little. I know that normally Alfredo sauce has Parmesan cheese, but since we didn't have any fresh Parmesan, I used some fresh mozzarella instead and we just used the Parmesan as a garnish. This made a nice thick sauce and The Tall One said it warmed up nicely for lunch the next day. The key to having it turn out fabulously is probably to use real ingredients, i.e. don't substitute margarine, and at least put in some cream. I also used fresh garlic.

Photobucket

photo by VirtualErn

Garlic Alfredo Sauce

1/2 cup Butter
2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
1 pint Heavy Cream*
1-2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
salt and pepper
2/3 cup Mozzarella Cheese

In a medium to large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cream cheese and whisk to smooth and melted. Whisk in the all but about a quarter cup of heavy cream. Mix the reserved cream with the cornstarch until well-blended and add to the other ingredients. Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and whisk frequently until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

Serve over pasta with chicken.

*I used 1/2 pint of cream and used milk for the other 1/2 pint.