What I Made Wednesday: Roman Shades from a Mini-Blind

Filed under , by Alison on 8:45 PM

5


Last year, I came across a tutorial for turing mini-blinds into roman shades. When I decided that the baby's room needed a window treatment other than the valance, I thought this would be the perfect project for this window.

If you're cool with cutting up your existing mini-blind, try using this tutorial from Little Green Notebook, otherwise, you can use the one I used at Instructables

I used blackout fabric and didn't bother hemming the edges because I thought the unfinished edges looked fine and I'm not too worried about them fraying. Instead of using a hot glue gun to attach the fabric at the top, I used sticky back velcro. My thinking behind that was that someday I may want to pull it down and sew some actual fabric to the front of it (though it would have to be very lightweight - If I add too much more weight, they probably won't work). Be sure to tack the fabric to all three blind cords and remember that's it's easiest to do the middle one first and not last. 



I have plenty more of this blackout fabric, so I just may do this to a few more windows!

I'm adding this to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land. Be sure to click through for more DIY projects.

Have you blogged about something you made recently? Leave me a link in the comment section - I'd love to see it. What to join in next week? Send me an email and I'll be sure to link to you in next week's post.