How Do You Do Simple?

Filed under , by Alison on 6:48 AM

0

So many people seem to be striving to enjoy a simple holiday season, but what exactly does that mean?
--------------------
Simple seems to be all the rage now. Don't get me wrong, that's not at all a bad thing. It just seems like all over the internet people are striving to live a more simple lifestyle in an effort to increase their happiness. Again, a fabulous thing to do, but what if happiness doesn't necessarily mean simplicity to you?

Nope, I've got that all wrong. If your definition of simple isn't bringing happiness, it's probably time to change your definition. Case in point - for many people a simple Christmas may mean less gift buying and less presents because they already have too much. And there's nothing wrong with that. But, what I've learned this year is that that does not work for me. I love buying my children gifts. So long as they aren't asking for one big thing, I want to maximize my spending power and get as much as my budget will allow. I can always get rid of the old stuff or pack it up for a rainy day. Does that mean I think the people who go for a few gifts are horrible? Heck, no. But for me, and for this year (because it may be different next year), that's just not how I roll.

In year's past, I've often felt pressure to do so many different things around Christmastime. This year, in an effort to make it a "simple" Christmas, I did the things I wanted to and left out the things I didn't. And that, to me, is the perfect simple Christmas.