The Quest For the Perfect Gift

Filed under , by Alison on 7:21 PM

0

Sometimes I have a hard time giving something that the recipient truly wants as opposed to something I just think is cool.
-------------------------------
Shopping for my preschool-aged nieces has proved to be a bit difficult. Not because I have no idea how to shop for girls (I do only have boys, after all), but because I feel the need to create something cutesy and girly while I have the chance! In previous years, that's what I've done, but I feel like the girls are older now and would rather just have a fun new toy or book! Though it's something I totally know, I'm realizing all over again that it's important to give something the recipient will love even if it's not something that's fun to give.

Years ago, my dad gave my mom a gym bag for Christmas. I never once saw my mom use that bag, but my dad used it all the time! I don't know the back-story behind it, whether it was really bought for her and he just ended up liking it more, or if he intended it to be his all along, but I thought it was super funny. It's a story I always think about when I'm having trouble with a gift. Is this item just going to be another gym bag? Will I love giving it more the the recipient will love getting it?