Under 10 Recipe: Chili and Cornbread

Filed under , by Alison on 9:01 PM

0

Every weekend, I post a tried and true recipe (for my family at least) that has ten or less ingredients. Follow this link for more under 10 recipes

Chili is a fairly basic recipe, but I thought I'd share how we do it:

Chili
1/2 - 1 lb hamburger
1-2 cans beans (I like kidney, TTO prefers pinto)
1 large can (64 oz) tomato juice
onion, chopped
chili powder
salt

Brown hamburger with onion, drain. Add beans and as much juice to get the consistency you'd like (we use about half the can). Add salt and chili powder to taste.


Photo from PDPhoto.org

Here's the cornbread recipe I came up with because I couldn't find one I liked. It's a bit sweet and cakelike.

Cornbread

1/2 c. cornmeal
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. milk
1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 Tbsp baking powder (I have no idea where I came up with 3/4...)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs


Mix all ingredients and pour in 8x8 baking pan. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes



Ack! I just noticed I had left out the sugar in the cornbread. I made the correction.