What I Made Wednesday: Jar Mix Gifts

Filed under , by Alison on 8:59 PM

2

Photobucket
photo by House of Sims


Last Saturday, I taught a mini class at a church event all about creating these jars that are filled with baking mixes. Not that I'm really all that qualified, but I figured I could poke around the internet and experiment a bit.

The internet is full of such "recipes", but it's easy to convert your own recipes into jar mixes. To know if a recipe will be a good fit, add up all the dry ingredients. A quart jar hold four cups but since the ingredients will pack down (and you want them to so your layers don't get too mixed up), shoot for putting about 4 1/2 cups of ingredients in. If you're doing a cookie mix and want to put the baking chips in the jar, 3 1/2 cups of dry ingredients will live a good amount of room for the chips. If you won't be adding any chips, you'll need to make sure your recipe contains at least 4 cups of dry ingredients. Pint jars hold 2 cups, so smaller recipes can squeeze in those.

These make great gifts for those neighbors and friends that you'd like to give a little somthing to. They are also lots of fun to just have around the house!

Have you blogged about something you made recently? Leave me a link in the comment section - I'd love to see it. What to join in next week? Send me an email and I'll be sure to link to you in next week's post.