Under 10 Recipe - Porcupine Meatballs

Filed under , by Alison on 11:38 AM

6

This week is even an under 5!

Porcupine Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. beef Rice-a-Roni (though the store brand works fine, too!)
1 egg
2 cups water

Mix raw beef, egg, and rice from the Rice-a-Roni box (save seasoning packet). Form balls about the size of walnuts. Put in a deep frying pan. Pour water over and sprinkle the seasoning packet. Bring to a boil, simmer for 40 minutes or until liquid is gone (at least 30 minutes)

These really don't reheat all that well, so it's best to make this recipe for a larger group, so you won't have leftovers. Paired with a side dish (growing up we always had green beans with it), it's a good amount for 4 adults and a few kids. When I make it just for my family, I use about a half pound of beef. I've tried to half the Rice-a-Roni, but that gets tricky with the seasoning packet, so sometimes I mix in half of the rice with the meat and add the remaining rice with the seasoning and water (and I use the whole seasoning packet). The later seems to work best with a larger pan and what you get is basically some rice with meatballs.

If you try it, leave a comment and tell me how your family liked it!