Get Away Quick Bags

Filed under , by Alison on 9:53 AM

2

This post was supposed to be showing off my latest craft project, but due to an unfortunate collision between my finger and a rotary cutter, that post is being put on hold. Instead of figuring out where to hang my new creation, I was instead figuring out where the first aid kit was. The one inside the house didn't have the size bandage I wanted, so I checked the one inside of our get away quick bag (also known as a 72 hour kit). I decided it was time to update the bag, seeing as based on the baby food I found in it, I hadn't done so since Bug was a baby.

What is a get away quick bag? It has basic supplies inside, so should we need to leave the house quickly in any sort of emergency we would have everything we needed already in one place.

What's inside ours? Food and a change of clothing for all of us* and it's packed inside a duffel bag. More specifically:

  • instant oatmeal
  • ramen noodles
  • crackers
  • canned fruit
  • canned vegetables
  • baby food 
  • tuna
  • dry milk 
  • potato flakes
  • kool-aid
  • sugar
  • am/fm radio
  • comb
  • tampons
  • flashlight/batteries
  • whistle
  • change of clothing
  • socks
  • sweatshirt
  • soap
  • toilet paper
  • toothbrushes/toothpaste

There is also a note inside telling us what other things we should grab, such as water, sleeping bags and our camping box (it has a propane stove and basic cooking equipment). Those things are kept in the garage near our get away quick bag.

I made a note on the calendar in August to rotate out the food. Since it had been so long since I last did this, I had to throw out a lot of the food.

*There is no change of clothing for the kids or diapers. I decided that since they grow so quickly, and I always keep spare clothes for each of them in the diaper bag, it makes more sense to just grab the diaper bag also, I always do on my way out anyway.