Overdrawn

Filed under , by Alison on 7:53 PM

3

Last week, I received a notice in the mail that our checking account had been overdrawn.

Oops.

We don't keep a whole lot of money in this checking account. As quickly as it gets deposited, I transfer most of it over to our ING account so we can earn interest on it. Also, most of our bills are paid online through our ING checking account. So, yeah, not much there, thus it wouldn't take a whole lot to overdraw it.

So who's to blame? Turns out that The Tall One had pulled out some cash earlier in the week and that did us in. We had a large amount in the checking account a week prior, but then we ended up not writing a check we had planned to write, so back to ING it went. TTO didn't know I had transferred the money out. He admits to just "thinking there was enough" and not checking. I knew that he had taken some cash out, so I should have been a bit more on top of things and found out how much he pulled out, if I had, we could have put some back to cover us until he deposited his paycheck. Looks like some better communication between us in regards to our money is in order. So, we're equally to blame - though of course I like to say it's all his fault.

The story has a happy ending though. When TTO went to deposit his paycheck, he asked them to reverse our overdraft charge ($29.95) and they did. It certainly never hurts to ask.