Save on Gas or Save my Sanity?

Filed under , by Alison on 9:52 PM

2

The rising gas prices have me in a bit of a tizzy. I feel like I'm already driving as little as I can, yet I'm still filling up the tank twice a week. Most days I go somewhere, sometimes it's just to take Bug to school, but I feel like leaving the house is important for my sanity. I'm hopeful that with warmer weather, our trips out can simply be a walk around the block or to the park, as opposed to the trips to the mall across town (where I wouldn't buy anything unnecessary - thank you very much)to play at the play area.

In the past, The Tall One and I have discussed him taking the bus to work to save on gas. He sometimes does one way, if I'm needing to be out near his work at a time I can pick him up or drop him off. The bus route isn't very direct, though, and it'd take him an extra half hour each way. He gets home late as it is, we eat dinner and then the kids go to bed a half hour later. If he got home later, that'd mean a later bedtime. Perhaps a small sacrifice to same some money, but then there's that whole sanity issue. A later bedtime would no doubt mean less sleep for Bug, because the child does not seem to know how to sleep in. And less sleep for him, means a less pleasant day for me.

Maybe one day a week. We'll have to crunch some numbers and see.