Flummoxed by Finicky Feasters

Filed under , by Alison on 9:00 PM

1

The following is a guest post by BeThisWay who blogs over at Are You Going To Be This Way The Rest of the Time I Know You?  She blogs about, well, a little bit of everything!  Her blog has life lessons, personal finance tidbits and day to day experiences mixed in with a daily "deal of the day".  If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to her feed.  

We need to expand our repertoire. We tend to eat the same things over and over again, and it gets boring. I read Alison’s meal plans and great recipes and I get frustrated. There are some great - and frugal - ideas, and I’d love to take advantage of them, but I can’t. 

It’s just not easy to expand that repertoire when you are dealing with three people, each of whom is finicky. And when one of those finicky eaters is a meat-and-potatoes preferring diabetic who will not go near a vegetable, anything Mexican and is vehemently opposed to trying anything new, well, it’s near impossible. 

And we can pretty much forget about being frugal. Health and cost take a back seat to “What will he eat?” 

Being sly doesn’t work, either. Husband has an uncanny ability to discern every ingredient. If I hide some pureed peas in the spaghetti sauce “it tastes funny”. I was able to get him to forgo regular ham for turkey ham, but it’s a hollow victory as it must still be slathered with mayonnaise. My own palate is not nearly as sensitive. I am Mrs. Bland. I don’t like spicy foods, nor gravies or many sauces. Which is a good thing considering I’m no Wolfgang Puck. 

So our menu is chicken, and hamburger, and steak, and pork (sorry, Rabbi), and the occasional roast. Each of these is prepared no more than two ways. I can throw in some salmon every now and again, but tilapia on a plate will ensure that Husband has cereal for dinner (Why??? It’s the mildest fish ever!) Most of these things Husband will only eat with gravy or sauce (Bearnaise is a favorite), adding calories and carbs (something no one - especially a diabetic - needs) to each meal. Wheat pasta and sauce has been relegated to only occasional appearances due to Husband’s on again-off again adherence to any semblance of a diabetic-friendly diet. 

Side dishes are roasted or baked potatoes (though much less seldom now due to the diabetes, and his favorite mashed potatoes are only a memory) or wheat egg noodles. Salad is served at almost every meal (and consists of only lettuce and celery - I have a separate plate with add-ons for myself). Vegetables, not a big draw for any of us, only ever land on my plate (though I do keep trying with Son). Rice is not an option. I’d eat it, but I’m the only one. 

And Son. Well, let’s just say that apple didn’t have much of a chance falling very far from the only two trees in his orchard. 

I remember back to when Husband and I were first married. We were both in our late thirties and had really only cooked for ourselves. Everything he cooks is of the highest possible fat content (He has a deep fryer, for goodness sake! And his meat loaf recipe includes syrup. Blech!) My cooking skill are limited in scope (though I make a heck of a matzoh brie, the best baked chicken in the world and my cakes are legendary), so I asked him what he wanted me to learn cook for him. He said, “Honey, I’ll eat whatever you cook for me.” 

Yeah, right. 

So, the Quest for Acceptable Foods continues. It’s a slow process, but I’m still hopeful that I’ll be able to add a little spice to our diet without adding too much spice to make it palatable to any of the Finicky Feasters. 

Wish me luck.