Just as I Suspected

Filed under , by Alison on 9:44 PM

1

Buggy hasn't been getting allowance lately.

I didn't want to tie his allowance to chores because I was afraid that he'd tell me he didn't want the money in an effort to get out of doing chores. I tell him that he gets allowance for doing his chores, listening to mom and dad, and being a good helper. I've never before really added the cause and effect (put your toys away or you won't get allowance) until two weeks ago at least. The conversation goes something like this:

Me: You get allowance for doing your jobs, please put your toys away
Bug: I don't want allowance
Me: Fine, no allowance for you
Bug: Then I don't have to pick up my toys

And then I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. He still does have to pick up his toys, the allowance is really actually irrelevant. Yet, I do this on allowance day, and two weeks in a row nonetheless.

I need to just keep my mouth shut.

For more about my son's history with allowance, visit my new My Kids and their Money page.