What I Made Wednesday: Our Bathroom Decor

Filed under , by Alison on 9:30 AM

2

I have many things on my to-do list, but when the baby started actually being awake for long stretches during the day, life got more complicated! Thus, I once again bring you an oldie but a goodie. This one though, never actually appeared here, it was a guest post over at Remodeling This Life

-----

Soon after Emily and her husband bought their fixer upper, my husband and I did pretty much the exact opposite - we bought a brand new home. Faced with a house full of empty rooms and white walls, we got to do our own sort of remodeling. Most rooms are still white and boring, but the bathroom is not. While perusing a Lowe’s ad, we saw some very cool wall paneling that we thought would look totally fabulous in the bathroom. Unfortunately, this stuff apparently only existed on the pages of that ad. We improvised and purchased a bamboo screen from the lawn and garden department. It’s totally not typical for a bathroom (or any indoor room for that matter), but I love it. And after the initial mess of putting it on the wall, it hasn’t been bad at all.




With the pedestal sink, there really isn’t much room for storage in this bathroom. There was not a whole that needed to be stored in this particular bathroom, but I at least wanted a place to put extra hand towels and toilet paper. My husband and I had a hard time finding something that was both affordable and attractive. We apparently were thinking too hard. A simple piece of wood and some shelf brackets were all we needed. To hide away stuff, I bought a cheap bin for a few dollars and covered it with the same bamboo we had put on the walls. Voila! Because it’s fun to be matchy, I also covered the plastic trash can with bamboo.

Photobucket


Next time you see you a look you want to recreate - think outside of the box, you’ll probably come up with some fun ideas.

------

Since I wrote this a year ago, I've added some pictures to the wall. The room seems to have sort of a beachy theme to it, so I framed some snapshots from last year's beach trip and put them up on the wall along with some seashells we collected on the trip. I also filled some jars with shells and put those on the shelf on either side of the bin.



Have you blogged about something you made recently? Leave me a link in the comment section - I'd love to see it. What to join in next week? Send me an email and I'll be sure to link to you in next week's post.