What I Made Wednesday: Homemade Ice Cream

Filed under , by Alison on 10:21 PM

2

We recently made a pact with The Tall One's parents that anytime we got together we'd enjoy homemade ice cream. Making things from scratch is often a great moneysaver, not so much when it comes to ice cream, but spending a few extra dollars is worth it to keep up a fun tradition.



The in-laws were in town this past weekend, so we enjoyed some tasty heath bar ice cream. The key to a fabulous homemade ice cream (one that will give you the taste of homemade along with the texture of store bought) is a cooked custard base. Here's a recipe from recipezaar that's very similar to what we use. We chill the base in the fridge at least overnight and cover it with plastic wrap that is touching the surface of the base.

For more What I Made Wednesday fun, be sure to visit Emily at Remodeling This Life and check out her photo wall.

Have you blogged about something you made recently? Leave me a link in the comment section - I'd love to see it. What to join in next week? Send me an email and I'll be sure to link to you in next week's post.