One Good and One Bad

Filed under , by Alison on 2:52 PM

0

It never fails that as soon as I've made a fabulous money decision, I nearly immediately make an incredibly stupid one.

A few months ago, I switched our homeowners' insurance (yay - good choice!), yet didn't immediately cancel the old insurance (boo - bad choice!). I naively thought that once the new insurance company billed our mortgage company (we have an escrow account), it would set in motion a series of events that would ultimately end in the old insurance company realizing we were no longer their customers. But when I received a bill from the new insurance company (I did give them the necessary information to bill the mortgage company, I'm not sure why they didn't), I went ahead and told the mortgage company about our new homeowners' insurance and cancelled the old policy. We eventually received a check in the mail for the difference due to us (the policy was cancelled before the year was up), but it wasn't as large as it would have been if I would have just cancelled right away.

Next time I won't get so excited about the money success and instead try and focus on thwarting the inevitable money fiasco that's probably just around the corner.