The Urge for New and Nice

Filed under , , by Alison on 7:38 AM

3

Last week, our large griddle fell off the top of the refrigerator and broke. Yesterday morning, The Tall One whipped out some epoxy to fix it. Oftentimes our $5 garage sale microwave breaks, but TTO just puts in a new fuse (we got a pack of them for a few dollars) and it's good to go.

Many times I've been tempted to just get a new microwave that won't just randomly stop working (and one that's a little more aesthtictally pleasing), but I've never succomed. And recently, I haven't had that urge at all. Before we moved into this house a year ago, I got rid of our toaster and waffle maker. Both were functional, just falling apart and I really wanted new ones. So I got new ones, a relatively cheap, but cool looking toaster and a very nice new waffle maker (bought partially with a gift card). And honestly, I think buying those two things helped calm my urge to just get lots of nice, new stuff for this house. I still want new things, but it's not nearly as bad as it was a year ago. I'm much more at peace with making do with what we have and what we come across cheaply. I'm just glad it only took purchases of about $50 total to get me to that place.