What I Made Wednesday: Blackout Curtains

Filed under , by Alison on 8:58 PM

0

Sometimes the solution to a problem is incredibly obvious, but that doesn't mean I can figure it out on my own! Recently my mother-in-law suggested that I purchase some blackout fabric from a fabric store and just sew it on the back of the curtains in the boys' room (apparently she didn't like my quick fix for keeping the light out, funny huh?). Why didn't I think of that?

When I first put the curtains up in this room, I bought a blackout panel to hang behind the curtains. I was not impressed with the amount of light blocked from the window, especially considering how much I had paid for them. So I returned them and never bought anything else.

My mother-in-law's solution was so easy, I just sewed the fabric right on the back, no hemming or anything because, well first off I'm lazy, and second I didn't think fraying was going to be a problem for the blackout fabric.


You can see the difference in how much light comes in when the fabric is sewn onto the back as opposed to when there is nothing.


It's also a very inexpensive option. Blackout fabric really isn't expensive to begin with and with this method I didn't need another curtain rod to accommodate another set of panels.

Come back next week to see the different method I used to put up the fabric in the baby's room!

I'm adding this to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.

Have you blogged about something you made recently? Leave me a link in the comment section - I'd love to see it. What to join in next week? Send me an email and I'll be sure to link to you in next week's post.