December Wrap-Up

Filed under , , by Alison on 10:06 PM

0

I apologize that today's post is so late, but in order to do a monthly budget wrap-up, I needed to look at some numbers and decided to have The Tall One join me, so it took longer than I anticipated.


December was a good month for us.  A very good month.  We earned $1733.17 more than we spent.  That includes a bonus and all Christmas presents on the earning side, and buying a computer and TTO's iPod Touch on the spending side.  Of that number, $300 will go the car stuff account (our auto insurance policy renews in February, so we need to have enough money earmarked for that by then), another $300 will go into an ING savings account for a dining room table and the rest will go to our emergency savings.  I blew my goal to have it back to $1000 out of the water.

Grocery shopping is another story.  I started out so well, but ended up over budget by $28.47.  Oops.  In my defense, we hosted Christmas dinner and no, I didn't spend nearly $30 just on that one meal, but maybe half of it was extra little things I bought to make our Christmas meals special.  And hey, I was under budget for all things Christmas by about $50 (I don't have an exact number because I wrote my exact budget number on a shopping list that is long gone), so if I threw the stuff for Christmas dinner into the Christmas category instead of groceries than I only went over by maybe $14.  Not bad, but under is what I want, and after today's shopping trip I'm under for January.  

Now on to goals for January.  I want to sit down with TTO and decide where our extra money will be going toward once we get our emergency fund to where we want it.  

Happy January and Happy New Year everyone!