Grocery Report: The Where Do The Batteries Go? Edition

Filed under , by Alison on 9:56 PM

4

I spent $57.85 at the grocery store yesterday.  That included that batteries I bought.  And, as Bug so kindly informed me, "you eat yogurt, you don't eat batteries".  So why should the batteries go into my grocery budget?  And while I'm at it, I don't eat laundry detergent or toilet paper, why do I put them in with the groceries?  


I didn't use to.  Well, I sort of did.  If I picked up some garbage bags along with my other groceries I wouldn't itemize my receipt and put them in another category, but if I bought those bags at Target, they would go into the household category, not grocery.  The household category bugged me because it was just a huge catch all so in November I did away with the it and started grouping those things in with my groceries, but I did not increase my grocery budget.  For whatever reason, this worked out just fine that first month, and kind of okay the second month, but I can already tell it's not going to this month.  Late last week I bought toilet paper and laundry detergent and spent $17.01.  So that puts me way over for the month so far even though my two food shopping trips average out to only $5 over so far this month.   Assuming normal usage, next month I won't need to be buying toilet paper or laundry detergent, so next month I won't be having this debate, and next month will likely go just fine, maybe.

So do I resurrect the household category for things like this or up my grocery budget? 

Switching gears slightly, I have two deals from yesterday that I'm quite pleased with.  Yogurt was on sale 3/$1 and I paired that with a $.40/6 coupon.  I also picked up some crescent rolls that were marked for quick sale at $1.  I paired that with a $.25 off coupon.  And I was thwarted once again by unadvertised specials.  I used a store coupon at Walgreen's  to get some oatmeal for $2, then I got to Smith's and saw that it was on sale for $1.87 there.  I noticed that in this week's circular (that was good as of today), so I don't know if it's a monthly thing or if they started the deal early.  Oh well.