So That's How They Do It

Filed under , by Alison on 8:47 PM

10

There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market (a Walmart with only groceries) near my house that *gasp* I actually sort of like.  I don't normally do my big shopping trips there, but it's quite convenient when I just need to grab something quick (usually milk).  A month ago, I stopped in for milk and happened to walk down the Mexican foods aisle and noticed that the store brand red enchilada sauce was much cheaper than the brand I normally buy.  Cool!  I best get some!  Except, oh wait, they don't have any in stock.  The next time I was at this store, I went specifically to buy enchilada sauce, and ... they didn't have any.  Trip #3 was a milk trip (or bread, I forget) but I checked for enchilada sauce while I was there, and there wasn't any.  Same with trips #4 and #5.  The funny thing about those last two trips? Now the enchilada sauce is on sale - 3/$1 - only, they don't have any!

So yes, that's five times in one month that I've found myself faced with an empty shelf.


Photobucket

photo by rtgregory

The Tall One said I should pick up a raincheck for them so I can get some at the sale price once they are back in stock.  Which is a good idea, since the skeptic in me says the only reason they went on sale was because they didn't have any and as soon as they come back, there will no longer be a sale.  I can see someone's thought process now - "Wow, that's a killer deal on enchilada sauce!  Walmart does have really low prices!".  Right.  Low prices, but nothing in stock.

Remember trip #2 when I really wanted enchilada sauce?  I bought another brand.  It rang up wrong.  And trip number #4 a few weeks later? Same deal.  People want the cheap stuff, but can't buy it, so they buy the next best choice which (conveniently enough) is ringing up for almost twenty cents more than the shelf price. I had the cashier change it for me, but I must wonder how many others didn't.  Yeah, that's one way to make money, Walmart.