More Blanket Recycling

Filed under , by Alison on 10:22 PM

0

Bug was playing in the linen closet again.  I noticed this blanket had quite a few stains on it.  It seems silly to keep it around considering the closet is full of non-stained blankets.



But other than that, I didn't want to toss a perfectly fine blanket.

So I was thinking about making another wall hanging, like I did with the last blanket I cut up.  But wait - I've always wanted some letters to spell out Monkey's name, why not use this blanket to make some of those?

First, cut the binding off.  Now I have two different pieces of fabric to work with. 



I traced the letters onto a cardboard box and then cut them out, then used those as a pattern to cut the letters out of the fabric.  I traced them with chalk, then cut on the outside of the chalk line so that the fabric would be slighly bigger than the cardboard.



Then I sewed a zig-zag around the edges of all the letters to help prevent fraying.



Finally, to give the letters a bit more weight, I used double-sided tape to tape them to the cardboard letters.



And now I have some cute letters to spell out my son's name.  And since his name really isn't Monkey, you can just see the 'o'.



Soon, I'll have his room all decorated, but I'll probably be out of blankets.