On Being Prepared

Filed under , , by Alison on 4:14 PM

1

My oldest is about to turn six and had a birthday party on Saturday. I spend much of last week preparing for this party and was not looking forward to it at all. Until Friday, that is. By the time Friday rolled around, I felt sufficiently prepared for everything and was actually looking forward to the party! What a difference a bit of preparedness can make.

The same theory can apply to money. When you aren't prepared (as in, no savings to help out in an emergency), you may not be able to look forward to things as much. It's certainly hard to adequetly plan for any emergency considering life can throw some crazy curveballs, but it's important to set aside some money when truly unexpected expenses come up.

Up until my son's procedure, I felt very prepared for just about anything that could be thrown at us. Now, as we deal with a chronic illness for him (he has been diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophogitis), we will probably be dealing with many more medical expenses in the future and well, that has me feeling slightly less than prepared!