New Year, New Car?

Filed under , by Alison on 9:09 PM

2

I had no intent of writing about this today, but life has a way of throwing curveballs now and then.  This morning we dropped our car off for some routine service and to fix a sensor that wasn't doing its job (or rather a sensor that was doing its job, just not at the correct times).  The work was done and then we were presented with a laundry list of other things that needed to be done to it, work amounting to nearly $2000. 

So now we have to decide whether to throw more money into this car, or buy a new one.  For fun (though I don't think the sales guy or his manager had much fun), we looked into what we could perhaps get should we use our current car as a trade-in and toss in some cash.  Our car currently carries some good trade-in value so, based on today's "car buying" experience, we're thinking we could easily use it plus cash for a car that we want.  But, it's always such a hard decision.

A new car would be good though, considering we are expecting baby #3 at the beginning of the summer.  Back when we needed a new carseat, I made sure to purchase a carseat that was slim enough so three carseats would fit across the back seat.  Thus a new car isn't necessary, but would certainly be nice, and it's a purchase we were looking to make within the next two years, just not right now!

On a side note, while my car was in the shop, I braved the stick shift and drove The Tall One's car to my doctor's appointment.  There were no tears or horns honking at me, so I think my fear is possibly overcome.  Too bad I didn't make it a New Year's Resolution, I'd be on a roll!